Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Theory of Everything (2014)









About the movie:
                     
                         In the 1960s, Cambridge University student and future physicist Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) falls in love with fellow collegian Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones). At 21, Hawking learns that he has motor neuron disease. Despite this -- and with Jane at his side -- he begins an ambitious study of time, of which he has very little left, according to his doctor. He and Jane defy terrible odds and break new ground in the fields of medicine and science, achieving more than either could hope to imagine.






My Review:


                       I have been wanting to see this movie for so long and I am so happy I finally got to see it this past weekend. I saw the trailer and instantly wanted to see it. I have to say, it was an incredible movie that made me want to read Stephen Hawking's books, but I think that since I waited so long to see the movie, I built it up and put it on this huge pedestal which led it to making me a little disappointed. 

                       This movie is about an incredible man who finds out he has motor neuron disease and along with the love of his life Jane they go through this tough adventure of  dealing with this horrible disease and carrying on with their daily lives. During this hard time, Stephen Hawking makes many discoveries involving time and goes on to write a book about it.

                       I liked this story a lot. It was inspiring to learn about Stephen Hawking and his terribly hard journey through life. To see that he survived for so long and despite his degenerative disease, he managed to make amazing discoveries and gain so much respect for the work he has done. It kind of made me want to do some of the stuff he did but then I came back to reality and knew I could never do any of that since I am horrible at math. I mean terrible. Anyway I felt that the movie was slow at times and some of the little things they had in there they didn't need at all. I mean there were times it got so slow that I went on my phone (don't worry. I rented this at home on demand. I'm not one of those annoying people who go on their phones in the movie theaters. I hate that so much).

                      Eddie Redmayne was phenomenal as Stephen Hawking. It must not have been an easy role to do with all the emotion he had to convey. I don't think I could think of anyone better for the role. It's like impossible for me. From beginning to end he continued to blow me away with his acting. I have no complaints about him. Felicity Jones was also pretty impressive in hr role of Jane which was probably almost as difficult as Eddie's role since her character had to go through many hardships while taking care of her husband. The little actors that played their children were so cute too! I couldn't get enough of them.

                     I liked Stephen Hawking a lot. I thought he was charming and brilliant. He was again also very inspiring. I respect him very much. I loved his friends. I mean I thought they were incredible and really supportive. They never abandoned him and were great strong pieces of support for Stephen. Jane was an interesting sweetheart who was very strong from beginning to end. I don't really like how things ended up between her and Stephen but I couldn't dislike her at all. It's not possible. I understood why she did and felt the things she did. It must of been hard to take care of both her husband and children. It must have been a real struggle.

                   Overall, I really liked this movie and recommend it to people who love real life stories portrayed in movies or is a fan of Stephen Hawking. This movie was nicely done beside the slow parts. I liked the ending too. I thought it was perfect. There was no way to make it better. I mean just him and Jane reminiscing and looking at their beautiful children was just a perfect touch. I do suggest seeing this movie if you haven't already.


Stars: 3 1/2 /5





No comments:

Post a Comment