Search This Blog

Monday, March 9, 2015

Chappie (2015)











      About:
   
             
  1. In the near future, a mechanized police force patrols the streets and deals with lawbreakers -- but now, the people are fighting back. When one police droid is stolen and given new programming, he acquires the ability to feel and think for himself. While the robot, dubbed "Chappie (Sharlto Copley)," puzzles out human behavior, the authorities begin to see him as a danger to mankind and order; they will stop at nothing to ensure that Chappie is the last of his kind.




My Review:




                Chappie is... interesting. I truthfully can't say that it was a bad movie. I can't say that it was a good one either. It was one that made you think. The trailer and description makes it seem like the whole government was after Chappie when in reality the movie was about something entirely different. Which disappointed me a lot. I mean the writers probably intended to have a plot like this but it wasn't even close.

                This movie is about Deon (Dev Patel) who is the creator of the police bots who have been used all over the country and brought down the crime rate significantly. Deon though isn't satisfied and wants to create a robot that can think and feel like a robot. He mentions that the robot he's trying to create could see art and tell you if it likes it or not. His boss though tells him no and upset he leaves work early where he is kidnapped by a group of thieves and drug sellers and threatened him to give them the remote to shut off the robots. Deon tells them they can't but says that he can give them a human thinking robot and that they could train it to do their dirty work. From this Chappie is born. While Deon, Ninja, Amerika, and Yolandi are teaching Chappie, Vincent (Hugh Jackman) is trying to get his own robot to get bought by the government and is willing to do anything even kill to do so.

              The plot wasn't too bad but it just wasn't what I was expecting. I mean if they advertised it right I probably would have less of a problem with it. Chappie was so cute. I fell in love with Chappie from the beginning. My heart went out to him. Deon was an interesting character but I wished he would have been more present in teaching Chappie. Yolandi was one of my favorite characters. She was with Chappie almost all the time and understood him. She was like Chappie's mother. I loved when she read to him. That scene was so sweet. Ninja I didn't like at all. He didn't really care about Chappie and he hurt Chappie a lot. Amerika I had mixed feelings about. He taught Chappie some horrible things but he was patient with Chappie and fixed him up when he was hurt. 

            I liked Dev Patel as Deon. I thought he was perfect for the role. He really seemed like he fit that character. His acting wasn't that bad. I loved Yo-Landi Visser as Yolandi. I thought she was amazing in that role. I couldn't imagine anyone better for it. I really can't. She really portrayed how much Yolandi cared for Chappie. I really can't complain about her. Sharlto Copley wasn't bad as Chappie. I mean I loved Chappies voice. I mean everytime Chappie talked, his voice portrayed so much emotion. I mean it must have been hard to play this role. I really have to give Sharlto props for this role. He did great. I did not like Hugh Jackman as Vincent Moore at all. I mean his acting wasn't bad. I don't think I've seen a movie where Hugh Jackman had bad acting but this role did not fit him at all. I think this is what brought down the movie for me besides the false plot. They should have cast someone else for this role. I mean there are just some instances where no matter if the actor is the greatest one in the world there are just some roles they can't play. 

           Overall, I have to say this movie was eh. I mean it was a big letdown. The only did besides some of the acting that made this slightly good was that it made you think. Though I guess it kind of disturb me the slight seed of bring back the dead they planted at the end of the movie. The switching bodies didn't bother me but the bring back one of the characters lives kind of did. Anyway the ending was... ok and the only redeeming qualities this movie had was the thinking and the few actors that were amazing in there roles. 



Stars:            2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment