Search This Blog

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Hana-Kimi volumes 1-3 by Hisaya Nakajo










              About the book:

              The Big Plan
Mizuki Ashiya is no slouch when it comes to a challenge. She's a star of track and field at her high school, after all. So when she falls for fellow athlete Izumi Sano, she figures out an ingenious plan to get close to him. Now she's moved to Japan, enrolled in the all-male high school Sano goes to, and became his roommate! How? She's disguised herself as a boy! Whatever happens next, things are about to get seriously complicated!



My Review:


                 I got this 3 in 1 volume during the buy two get one free Viz Media sale and I couldn't decide what to get. The description seemed ok so I decided to buy it. I mean this isn't usually my type of thing to read but I thought why not? I was getting it for free anyway. When I first started it I thought it was eh. I just couldn't get through it. By the time I got to the second volume though I started loving it. I couldn't put it down. It was just so entertaining and surprisingly different from other books/manga like this.

               So Mizuki is a regular high schooler who is instantly stunned when she first sees Sano doing the high jump on tv. She then decides that she's going to meet him and see him do the high jump. So she cuts her hair and enrolls in Sano's school which is an all boys school. This is basically her crazy adventure in pretending to be a boy and helping Sano get over his fear of jumping after the accident while making some interesting friends along the way. This isn't my first time reading something with a story line like this but it didn't feel overdone. It was kind of refreshing.

              Mizuki is so sweet and just an overall good person. She encourages Sano and stands up for him against his rival in the high jump. I like her character a lot. She tries her best and does everything she can for her friends. You can't help but love her character. Sano is a pretty cool character. He takes care of Mizuki and is always by her side. They support each other. I so ship them too! I think they would be good together. Anyway Sano can be really cold at times but he is really sensitive and is there for the people he cares about. Nakatsu is such a cutie. I love his character. He's just so adorable. He's just so clumsy and slightly awkward. I also like haw he just acts so weird around Mizuki. Though he does that because he might have feelings for Mizuki while thinking she's a he. Which makes him go crazy making him wonder if he's gay. Poor Nakatsu. My favorate character is the school's doctor. Doctor Umeda is so funny. I just love his attitude towards everything. He's just so sarcastic and entertaining. He constantly gives Mizuki advice and helps her out.

               The art isn't too bad. I truthfully don't like the cover. I don't really like how their lips look but the inside art is so much better. It's a lot nicer to me but I could just like Hisaya Nakajo's art when it isn't colored. I like how the characters look and thought the shading was pretty good. I didn't really have a problem with the art except the cover.

               Overall, I really liked these volumes and highly suggest you try it out if you like comedy, sarcasm, a little romance, and just some crazy situations. The beginning is a little rough but once you get through that you'll fall in love with this series. I can't wait to hit up Barnes and Noble to buy the next 3 in 1 volume. The story was good, the characters amazing, and I just love the overall feeling of it while reading. This is a manga you don't want to pass over like I almost did.


Stars:   4 1/2 /5

No comments:

Post a Comment