Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Panic x Panic volume 1 by Mika Kawamura









                         About:


                       Mitsuki and Kakeru are childhood friends--and rivals! When Mitsuki is attacked by a demon, she and Kakeru discover that they have magical powers. An ancient scroll decrees that they must work together to save the world from a demon invasion. And so begins a demon-filled adventure...




My Review:





                 I got this volume for 1 dollar and I have to say I'm so glad I picked it up. This manga is a really great read. It's like a cross between Phantom Thief Jeanne and St. Dragon Girl. So if you're a huge fan of those two mangas, then you will love Panic x Panic. This was a really fun read. I'm so glad I already own the next and last volume. I'm a little worried though that there is only two volumes. They are thicker than normal but I just hope the series doesn't fall flat.

                This volume is about Mitsuki who is a shrine maiden about to go through her coming of age ceremony to accept her duties as a shrine maiden and heir and Kakeru, who is about to go through his purification ceremony as heir to the church across from Mitsuki's shrine. They're rivals since birth and can't stand each other. On their way home one night they're attacked by a demon and find out the seal over the portal that connects the spirit world to our world has broken and both Mitsuki and Kakeru must seal away the demons together as a pair, much to their dismay.

                Mitsuki is really cute. I like her character a lot. She's a little bit of a brat but that's to be expected because of her age which I think adds to her character. She's also late a lot but she isn't a crybaby and she isn't weak which I loved. I mean I like crybaby characters once in a while but they can get annoying at times. Kakeru is such a brat! I mean seriously. He has a crappy personality. I mean he isn't evil or anything but this isn't the typical teasing slightly jerky barbs. But he is no where near as bad as Sata from Wolf Girl and Black Prince. I loved his character though. I mean he pushes Mitsuki to be better even though it's unintentional. I also love how he acts all cool and uncaring. It's adorable. I really like these two together. I'm not saying I'm shipping them even though it's supposed to be a romance but I can definitely see it. The cliche love hate relationship. I guess I just haven't gotten emotionally involved enough to ship them. I'll probably ship them in the next volume. Maju is a rich popular girl who is madly in love with Kakeru. She is a fortuneteller and constantly tells Kakeru their love fortune. She hates Mitsuki because she sees her as her rival. She is a weird character but I like her a lot. She just adds to the manga even though she isn't a main character. Ogami was an interesting addition at the end. He's really cute and I like him a lot. He appears at the end of the volume. He reminds me a lot of Kyou from Fruits Basket. Though he's a dog instead of a cat. I hope to see a lot more of his character in the next volume.

                 The plot is great. I absolutely love manga like this. I really like the idea of fighting demons and learning about Japanese folklore along the way. I also really love that there are christian aspects to it which is great. I think that's what really makes this manga unique. I love the art. I really love 90's style art. I think it's really great. Most people love the newer art which I agree is good, but to me, there is just something about the older styles of art. I can't get over it.

                 Overall, I really enjoyed Panic x Panic. I am really looking forward to reading the next volume. I hope it is better than this one. I loved the characters and really am looking forward to see more of them. I really hope two volumes are enough for this series. I will be sorely disappointed of the next volume sucked. I highly recommend this series. You can probably find it cheap somewhere like Amazon or something since it's slightly old. Give it a chance, especially if you like the manga/anime I mentioned in the first paragraph.






Stars:                

No comments:

Post a Comment