Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Earl & the Fairy volume 2 by Ayuko and Mizue Tani










           About:

                      Lydia Carlton is a fairy doctor, one of the few people with the ability to see the magical creatures who share our world. During one of her rare trips to London to visit her father, Lydia's quiet life is suddenly transformed when she is rescued from kidnappers by a mysterious young man!

Edgar and his small band must travel to the Isle of Manon, once home to the Blue Knight Earl. But the island is surrounded by merfolk, whose tragic songs cause rough seas and shipwrecks. And even if Edgar and his companions reach the island, they face death if it turns out he isn't a true heir to the Earl...




My Review:



       
                  I was hesitant to try this series because it seemed kind of fluffy to me. I know that sounds weird but I just didn't think it had real depth to it and the description doesn't really help. But let me tell you, I couldn't have been more wrong. This is definitely a case of you can't judge a book by it's cover. This series is really dark and full of secrets and mystery. I really couldn't believe how dark it was. I couldn't put it down. It sucked me into this world of the fairies with thieves darkness, death, and violence. Let me tell you. If what I've just said doesn't interest you, then this isn't the series for you. 

                In this volume, Lydia joins Edgar, Raven and Ermine to the Isle of Manon to find the Blue Knight's sword before anyone else can. Here we find out Edgar's original plans for Lydia, Ermine's huge secret that could destroy everyone, and more on Edgar, Ermine, and Raven's past. It is very intriguing since in the first novel all we know is that those three went through a horrific past. 

               I liked the plot a lot. I mean it's very interesting and we get to see if Edgar is really the descendant of the Blue Knight or not. Also we learn more about  Edgar's mysterious past and gives us a hint by bringing in Prince. I don't know if it's a person, creature, or entity. Very intriguing. I like the art a lot. It's all very fitting for the time period of the novel. I think Lydia is cute and love how Nico is drawn too. I think Edgar looks very handsome as well. I don't really like how Raven is drawn. His face just seems so young and doesn't fit with his body. 

             I love Lydia. She's just so nice and will do the right thing. She's just so trusting and ready to see the good in people. I also love her outlook on life. It's just so unique and fresh which seems to appeal to Edgar a lot. Edgar I like. He isn't the strong and silent type which usually is the case with mysterious dark characters. Edgar...I don't really know how to describe them. He really is mysterious. I usually am able to crack "mysterious" characters right away, but not him. Same thing with Raven and Ermine. They are all so shrouded in mystery and secrets. Ayuko and Mizue Tani did amazing with character development. Nothing was given away right away. I mean it's phenomenal what they were able to do.

           Overall, this manga was amazing. I couldn't put it down. It was creative, mysterious, dark, and kept you guessing. I had no idea what was going to happen next. This manga series is definitely not a stereotypical manga. You literally will not not what is going to happen or guess it. I find it truly that unique. I also loved the ending. It was so funny and brought a chuckle out of me. It was perfect for such an interesting in depth volume. I highly recommend this series if you love mystery, secrets, the fae, and darkness.





Stars:               4.5/5



No comments:

Post a Comment