Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

The DUFF (2015)









     About:
   
              A high school senior instigates a social pecking order revolution after finding out that she has been labeled the DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) to her prettier more popular friends. Starring Bella Thorne, Mae Whitman, Robbie Amell, and more. Directed by Ari Sandel.










My Review:


                When I first learned that the book The DUFF was becoming a movie I was so excited.  I loved the book and found it absolutely amazing. So when the movie came out I just had to see it as soon as possible. Truthfully though I was a little disappointed with the movie. If I have never read the book I would have given this movie five stars right away no doubt about it. So if you haven't read the book you will totally love this movie. It's funny with real sincere moments that make you go aww and you just can't help but love Bianca and Wesley's relationship. It just didn't stay true to the parts I most liked about the books. Bianca and Wesley's relationship was a little different in the book and the movie. Though after seeing this movie last night I definitely want to read the book again.

                So I guess I'll start with the plot this time and the characters before I move onto the actors. So basically The DUFF is about a girl who is basically happy with her life until her neighbor and ex-friend Wesley calls her a DUFF. After that she has a little breakdown by dumping her two hot friends and striking a bargain with Wesley to help him pass Science if he helps her not be a DUFF anymore. She wants to be attractive and her crush, Toby Tucker, to like her back. Once that deal was made Bianca goes on this adventure of finding her self and trying to love that self with Wesley learning what he really wants and to not care what others think along with Bianca. 

               Bianca and Wesley's characters together are so cute and funny. I just loved their bickering and banter back and forth. I connected with Bianca a lot because I love my cheesy t-shirts and my kind of boyish clothes. I also am a dork hence the name of my blog. Wesley was awesome.  I loved his character. He is definitely my favorite. He actually reminded me a lot of my brother who talks and acts the same way as Wesley. He also does the chest thing that Wesley did in the locker room (you'll know what I'm talking about when you see the movie). I also liked Bianca's friends who were so nice and always there for Bianca when she needed them. I liked all the characters frankly.

              I liked that Mae Whitman played Bianca. I know there are a lot of people who complained saying that they should have picked an actual ugly person for the role but I thought that she was perfect. Yes, she wasn't straight up ugly but girls that do look like her are picked on and made fun of for how they look. I remember overhearing someone say if you're not skinny, you're not pretty. Obviously that's not true but a lot of people do think like that so I think the people who complained about her being cast have no grounds. Bella Thorne was so amazing in her role of Madison. I absolutely loved her acting in this role. She really did well in acting like a b*tch and really owning it. I mean you can't have a good movie without a good antagonist. Ok, Now I loved Robbie Amell as Wesley. He did so well withe the role and well I just loved him. He's very good looking and well just cute too when he smiles. But anyway He really acted his role well has a typical guy who sometimes says stupid things and had some insecurities as well despite being good looking and popular. I have never been disappointed in Robbie's acting and this movie continues that feeling. I also liked Ken Jeong, Romany Malco, and Chris Wylde's acting in their roles as respective figures in the school. They topped the movie off with their little funny scenes. Especially the bonus scenes which rolled during credits. They were so funny.

              Overall, I really did enjoy the movie. The only problems I had were it's relationship to the book and the fact that there were a few scenes or just things that were in the movie that were just unnecessary. The movie would have been better without them but I guess every stupid-funny movie has them. I enjoyed the acting and the somewhat realism of it all. If you love stupid funny movies then this is the one for you. I still recommend reading the book and if you have read it and haven't watched the movie, I still think you should see it, just don't think it with religiously follow the book.


Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment