Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Butterflies, Flowers volume 1 by Yuki Yoshihara










                    About:


                              Choko Kuze is the sensible daughter of a venerable family who went bankrupt. She joins a real estate company as an entry-level office worker, but her eccentric boss is harder on her than anyone else in the company! After hearing him inadvertently call her "milady", she realizes he was the young servant boy she knew as a child. At work he's a tyrant, but after hours he insists on treating her like a lady of the nobility. Is romance even possible for a couple locked in such a crazy role reversal?










My Review:







                  The cover really caught my eye when I was browsing Viz Media's website and then the description really brought it home for me. I mean it seems really good don't you think? I mean imagine working under your boss who turns out to have worked for you sometime. That's got to be the weirdest thing ever and so I just had to read this manga. I was really pumped to read this but when I did it didn't really stick with me. I mean it was funny as hell. I got weird looks the whole time I was reading it because I was laughing so much but I didn't really like how quickly the romance progressed. I mean I know it happened over a couple months when the main character realized her feelings but when it's kind of a typical romance like this you need more build up or else it begins to feel like another rinse wash repeat cycle. Other than that I was really happy with this manga. I don't know if I'll read the next one because the romance really bothered me but on the other hand the humor was great so maybe I will pick up the next one.

                    In this volume, Choko starts her new job under a very weird and strict tyrant. After working for him for a while she learns that it's her old friend who used to work for her parents when they were rich. After that it's incident after incident lighting a fire between them and everyone can see it. We see her and her boss clash over and over yet growing closer. Interesting no?        
                  
                     Choko Kuze was funny. She acted pretty childish at times but otherwise was dedicated to her work and family. She was very fiery and I loved that a lot. I mean she was so funny. Especially when Domoto enters the picture. She almost explodes every time he opens his mouth. There were times I didn't like her personality. I don't know how to explain it. Maybe it was the moments her childishness and her naivety mixed together. It just wasn't cute to me. I liked Domoto a lot though his character is a little hard to read. I mean he's typical in having his hot and cold personalities but I like the snappy side he brings out of Choko. I like their relationship a lot. They just bring out each other's true emotions. I do kind of ship them together but I'm not really into it because there was no build up and not enough moments where it makes me go aww they should be together. Choko's brother is funny. He's so snotty and high and mighty even though he has no right to be. It adds a nice touch to the crazy cast of this manga. Suou was definitely the most interesting character. I won't ruin the surprise and say why because you will be shocked. Well at least I was. All the characters were good. Theor personalities were very over the top which made them clash a lot. I really liked that.

                    The art is really pretty. I mean look at the cover. Though it is crude at times when it comes to Choko's angry facial expressions. I know it was meant to be funny and emphasize her anger and annoyance but I felt it was unnecessary. I really didn't like it a lot. Otherwise the art was really good which I give props to Yuki Yoshihara for. The plot was pretty good as well. I mean it really is a fascinating storyline but it wasn't really executed in the best way. I mean yeah it was really funny but I felt that it lacked substance. 

                   Overall, Thins manga has some really nice qualities which I hope the author uses to her advantage in the later volumes, but there are also a bunch of weaknesses like the lack of substance and the progression of the romance. I do recommend this manga for people who love comedy and fiery characters but if you want to read it purely for the romance you may not like it at all. The art was good and so was the storyline. I don't know if I'll read the next volume. I might to see if it gets any better. I mean some this deserve a second chance especially a manga like this that has a lot of good stuff going for it.









Stars:                               3/5

              






                 



No comments:

Post a Comment