Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2015

Invisibility by Andrea Cremer and David Levithan









             About:


                       Stephen has been invisible for practically his whole life — because of a curse his grandfather, a powerful cursecaster, bestowed on Stephen’s mother before Stephen was born. So when Elizabeth moves to Stephen’s NYC apartment building from Minnesota, no one is more surprised than he is that she can see him. A budding romance ensues, and when Stephen confides in Elizabeth about his predicament, the two of them decide to dive headfirst into the secret world of cursecasters and spellseekers to figure out a way to break the curse. But things don’t go as planned, especially when Stephen’s grandfather arrives in town, taking his anger out on everyone he sees. In the end, Elizabeth and Stephen must decide how big of a sacrifice they’re willing to make for Stephen to become visible — because the answer could mean the difference between life and death. At least for Elizabeth. 








My Review:






                    I bought this book from a friend on the spur of the moment. I didn't read the reviews like I normally do before I buy a book so I had no idea what to expect. The only thing I knew was that Andrea Cremer was a good author. I've read her Nightshade series. It was good so I expected this book to be good as well. I liked the cover a lot. It's bright and I like how the guy is all blurry so we can't see what he looks like. It's a very well done cover. I liked this book. I was a little disappointed with it but I'll get to why later. This book is action packed with romance, magic, murder, and horrible curses that are horrifying to imagine. I have to say that even though I was a little disappointed with it I do not feel like I wasted my time on it. I mean it was really great at first.

                      In this book, Stephen is invisible. He's been invisible since the moment he was born. He has been drifting through life unseen and unheard for many years until he gets a new neighbor. Elizabeth moves to NYC after a horrible trauma happened to her brother and is moving things into her new apartment when she snaps at Stephen for not helping her with her bags. After that we get into a budding romance between the two with a bunch of twists and turns involving curses, magic, and Stephens grandfather.

                     I liked Stephen a lot. He was a lot nicer than any other person if they were in the situation he was in. I do he was a tiny bit bland though. For being a main character I thought he'd have a slightly bigger role than being the victim. I mean it was great and interesting. I've never read a book where that main character was cursed to be invisible. I just wish he did a little more. Though he did step up slightly on that rooftop when Elizabeth was in trouble. Elizabeth was a cool character. I mean she had the anger issue of a teenager which I liked. I also likes how brass and forward she was. Though I really got annoyed with her about three quarters of the way through. I mean she was go go go and just so hot headed and not in the cute way. I mean I just didn't like how she acted. She was so obsessive. I loved her in the beginning though. The romance between them was ok. It didn't happen in a matter of days but it felt like it did. I felt like there was no build up. It was like all of a sudden they were in love. One chapter they weren't the next they were. Millie was interesting. I liked her character a lot. I loved how she helped Stephen and Elizabeth. I couldn't really connect with her character though. She got better towards the end. My favorite character was Laurie. He was the only character that was great from beginning to end. He was funny and charming. I wish I had a brother like him. I liked how he was the balm to every one's wounds. Even though he suffered trauma he didn't let it stop him. He was so nice and so wise. I think everyone who reads this book will love him. I liked the characters a lot but I felt like they peaked then went downhill.

                  I love the storyline. I mean have any of you read a book like this? I found it highly interesting and I thought it was executed well until it got towards the end. Like the characters I felt the book had peaked then went downhill. That's what disappointed me a lot. I mean when a book is really good and is getting better as you read suddenly starts getting bad, it sucks. Otherwise this book was really engaging. I mean there was so much action and I liked the world of magic that Stephen and Elizabeth lived in. I found it highly interesting. This book had a great plot.

                  Overall, the book was good. It had its many flaws but the plot was good and the characters weren't half bad. The plot was amazing as well. It's just that the characters and the book in itself peaked which was really disappointing. I still think though that you should give this book a try even just for the plot because it's really unique. It's really hard to find a unique book these days. So this book was a refreshing read even though it wasn't what I hoped for.







Stars:                                                   3/5

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment