Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Beautician and the Beast (1997)










                          About:


                                    A New York cosmetologist mistakenly thought to be a science teacher is offered a job to teach the children of an Eastern European dictator.












My Review:






                 This movie was so funny. I loved it so much. I wasn't expecting much since it was pretty old but I'm so glad I saw it on Netflix. So this movie is full of comedy, romance, family, and a bunch of the the hell moments. Also it has Fran Drescher in it. I mean because of that it had to at least be kind of good. My sister even liked it and she's hard to impress. I mean she's a pain in my a** when it comes to watching something. SO the plot is simple but always good if executed correctly and the cast wasn't too bad though I only recognized Fran. I enjoyed watching this movie.

                In this movie, Joy Miller a beautician who teaches cosmetology at night, saves a bunch of animals from the science classroom she teaches in making the headlines in newspapers. Because of this, she is mistaken as a science teacher and is hired to teach the kids of a dictator in a European country. There she constantly is at odds with said dictator, has to deal with a hormonal teenage male, a love sick girl who of course loves a rebel, deal with a corrupt official, and do so while hiding the fact that she knows nothing about science and might be having feelings for the strict dictator.

                  Joy was funny and not afraid to be herself or speak her mind. I mean she can't shut up. It's like she has no filter. She always has to put her two cents in. She can also be very sarcastic and have a lot of sass. She was also strong willed which I liked. She was definitely was my favorite character in the whole movie. The dictator, Boris Pochenko, was funny as well. I mean there were some times he acted like a kid with his weird adventure on meeting his employees. He didn't understand that you didn't have to make people fear you to follow you and like you. Joy luckily stepped in and taught him that was not how you earn respect. He was also an over the top father who was a little too strict and has a listening problem, but again Joy saves the day. I wasn't overly fond of his character. I mean he didn't seem as cold or mean as i thought he would be. He mostly acted like a spoiled child but I liked him with Joy. They balanced each other out and kept each other in check. I mean their personalities clicked. Ira Grushinsky was a good sidekick to Joy. I mean he wasn't a main character but he was funny and was a nice touch to the movie. I mean I enjoyed his character for the little he was on. Katrina Pochenko, Boris's daughter, was cute and had some funny knowledge which I'll save as a present for you guys. She was quirky and she acted like other lovestruck teenager. I liked her character a lot and enjoyed her antics a lot. I also liked the relationship with Joy. It was like mother and daughter plus they acted like best friends. It was pretty cool and nice. I also approve her taste in men.

             

Fran Drescher is one of the greatest actresses ever. If you haven't seen her in The Nanny go watch it now. I'll forgive you if you stop reading my review to watch it. She's amazing in it and it's funny as hell. Fran has an amazing accent which I love and it adds so much to her character. She also has the best facial expressions ever. I can't think of an actor/actress that can do better than her. I also love the way she says her lines. SO full of sass that it like oozes out of her. I mean it's an amazing talent. I mean if the movie doesn't seem to interest you just watch it anyway to see her act. Timothy Dalton as Boris is pretty good. I mean I may have not liked his character really but his acting wasn't half bad. I think he did well with his character and he had some good expressions like when Boris was excited or confused. I liked that a lot.


Lisa Jakub was amazing as Katrina. I mean see really seemed like a love struck teenager. She didn't go overboard or make it seem unrealistic. She also was so cute in her role. She also looked the part as well. I can't think of anyone better to play that role. When Katrina smiled so did Lisa. I mean I know that makes no sense but it really seemed Lisa was happy playing her role. Did I explain it better? Oh well, anyway, I haven't seen her in other movie(I think) but I would love to see her other work in the future.

Overall, I really really enjoyed this movie. It has it's really comedic moments and then it's really sweet moments. This is a good movie to watch on a day off or even a date night. This is a movie I will definitely re-watch in the future. I definitely recommend that you go on Netflix and watch it or rent it. I mean it's probably cheap. If you like movies like these you should so check it out. I mean the acting was pretty good and the plot really wasn't that bad. The writers knew what they were doing.



Stars:                                  4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment