Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Half Bad book 1 by Sally Green










                   About:


                     Wanted by no one.
                  Hunted by everyone.

Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus, and receive the three gifts that will bring him into his own magical powers—before it's too late. But how can Nathan find his father when there is no one safe to trust, not even family, not even the girl he loves?

Half Bad is an international sensation and the start of a brilliant trilogy: a gripping tale of alienation and the indomitable will to survive.








My Review:






                      I am going to be blunt here. I didn't really like the book at first. The writing was weird and choppy. Also I couldn't really connect with the characters for a while. Also I thought the main character had no common sense at all. But the plot is really good and the writing does get a lot smoother and better. I also find some characters I love in the last couple sections of the book. I even already got a ship with the main character!(as everyone rolls their eyes). So now I have to say I really like the book. It's one of those that aren't the best at first but then get better and better towards the end. My friend Carina turned me onto this book and I'm so glad she did. Thanks Carina!

                   This book is about a boy named Nathan who is half white witch and half black witch. The white witches are the pure and use their powers or "gifts" as so called to help people while the black witches use their gifts for evil and personal gain. Nathan is the first to be a halfblood and the white witches see him as a threat because they don't know if he'll turn into a white or black witch. So they do their best to restrict him and soon hold him captive to try and Kill Nathan's dad. While Nathan comes up with a plan to find his father and find a way to receive his gift on his seventeenth birthday and to do that is to find the witch Mercury. 

                   I was not connecting with Nathan at first. I mean I kind of though he was an idiot for thinking the Hunters weren't following his every move when he was still living with his gran and I just couldn't connect with him emotionally He just seemed so distant and indifferent. I started liking him more though towards the middle when things started happening. I mean he still has no common sense. He got some by the end of the book but he seemed more emotional and he started to do something. I mean he had no choice unless he wanted to become the white witches council's puppet but he finally got a move on. I felt so bad for him though because his life was horrible. He had so many restrictions on him and everyone hated him except for Gran, his sister Deborah, and his brother Arran. Well also a white witch named Annalise. Nathan has feelings for her but I don't know if I trust her. She was the only non-family member witch to like him. Annalise seemed sweet. I didn't see much of her and was kind of happy. I mean Nathan got in trouble because of her even though it was partly his fault as well. Arran was an amazing brother to Nathan. I couldn't really connect with his character was he was good support for Nathan. Jessica was an evil b***h. She was so mean to Nathan. It's hard to imagine how a sister can hate her own brother. I mean they are half siblings but not the point. Mercury was interesting. She sure wasn't a good person but I liked her character. She was very interesting. I liked Rose a lot as well. She was my second favorite character. She was a white witch but she worked for Mercury and fought off the Hunters to help Nathan. I mean I also loved her personality and I absolutely loved how she teased Nathan and Gabriel. It was so cute and funny. I also liked her gift. It was pretty cool. Gabriel was my favorite character! I mean I love him. I specifically love him with Nathan. Yes, there it is. My Ship. I so ship Gabriel and Nathan. Gabriel may be a black witch but he really cares about Nathan. He does what he can to protect him and he would even die for him which Rose mentions. I wish I could have seen Gabriel sooner but it is what it is. I truthfully started loving this book when Rose and Gabriel came into the picture. 

                     The plot was pretty good. Yeah it was a tiny bit cliche with the good guys really being the bad guys and the bad guys are helping out the main character. But there was a lot of unique things in it as well. I loved the love triangle. I mean I normally hate them a lot and find them too dramatic but I loved this one. This is the first book I've read where it was a guy and a girl liking the main male character not two girls liking the main male character or two guys liking a main female character. It was a nice refreshing change which made me love the book a lot. It really brought it up for me and not just because I love BL(boy love for those of you who don't know) but because it was different and something I haven't read before. The writing was choppy in the beginning but it did get a lot smoother and easier to read so if you don't like Sally Green's writing style at first then keep reading because it will get better.

                   Overall, this book was great. Yeah it wasn't the greatest at first but it really pulled through. I mean some of the characters were great. The plot was really good, I loved the love triangle, the ending was really good, and I liked that it got better as you read further and further. The ending was really good with the cliff hanger of what happened to Gabriel and not knowing what Nathan's gift is. I definitely going to read the next book which I'll borrow from Carina. I can't wait!






Stars:                             4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment