Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2015

Food Wars! volume 5 by Yuto Tsukuda and Shun Saeki









                   About:


                             Soma Yukihira’s old man runs a small family restaurant in the less savory end of town. Aiming to one day surpass his father’s culinary prowess, Soma hones his skills day in and day out until one day, out of the blue, his father decides to enroll Soma in a classy culinary school! Can Soma really cut it in a place that prides itself on a 10 percent graduation rate? And can he convince the beautiful, domineering heiress of the school that he belongs there at all?!

The assignment is to invent a new dish worthy of appearing on the high-class Totsuki Resort’s breakfast menu. To create their dishes, Soma and his friends use the combined knowledge and confidence they’ve gained while at the cooking camp to individually pass the challenge—everyone, that is, except for Soma! Having made a critical error, he finds himself behind with little time left. What can he do to overcome his biggest hurdle yet?!








My Review:





                  I love this manga so much. I mean the plot is really good. The characters are so lovable. I mean they are so funny and creative. I also love the food. I mean it is drawn so amazingly and I love that the author includes the recipes which I so plan on trying out. I always get hungry when I read this manga. If you haven't started reading this yet then get a move on. This is an entertaining manga that will make you smile and get you excited. This volume was so good. Definitely one of my favorites out of the whole manga so far. 

                  In this volume, Soma hasn't served nearly enough servings for the last challenge at the camp and time is running out. Also we meet some new rivals and see who passes the camp from hell. Then Soma has a chance to go back home and learns that a fried chicken chain is making business go bad for the street market and decides to help by making a fried chicken recipe of their own. Things are definitely heating up for Soma in this volume.


                    Soma is so awesome. He puts a hundred and ten percent into everything he does and he is just so nice. If someone he cares about is in trouble he does all he can to help which is awesome. He is definitely my favorite character. I don't have any ships for him even though there are quite a few girls who have such huge crushes on him. I mean I feel like he's such an awesome character on his own that I'm afraid that him getting a girlfriend will ruin everything. Alice Nakiri is a new rival that makes an appearance for the last challenge at the camp and she pulls out all the stops. She definitely doesn't see Soma as a rival and kind of thinks he's a fool. Especially because of the dish he chose for the buffet. She seems like a huge jerk but she does seem like a good opponent. I wonder what we'll happen when we see her again. Ikumi also makes another entrance in this volume and not as just a passing by. She helps out Soma to make a new fried chicken recipe so they can bring the street market come back to life with many customers. I liked her a lot. She is a lot nicer than when we first saw her trying to shut down the soup club and was challenging Soma to a cooking battle. It's also cute seeing her have a crush on Soma. The way she acts is so adorable. Too bad she likes someone so incredibly dense. I liked that she played a bigger role again and isn't just a one time challenge character. I hope to see more of her again. We also meet Kurase who was in the first volume. She was a friend of Soma's in middle school. It was interesting seeing her again. Truthfully I had forgotten all about her. She was an interesting addition to Soma's team for helping the street market. She was cute and helpful. I also thought it was cute that she had a crush on Soma as well. Again she didn't leave much of an impression but that was kind of good. You don't want too many very overly impressive characters because then you will get overwhelmed. Megumi wasn't in this volume as much which kind of sucked but the few times she was here she was so cute and her usual calming self. I love her character so much. All the characters were good in this volume. 


                    The plot was very good. I liked that Soma had a close call and the challenge wasn't too easy for him like all the others. I also liked that he went home and we get to see his restaurant again even though it was closed. I really liked the art as well. I mean the food looked so so good. I mean I get hungry just from reading the manga. Have any of you ever tried the recipes in the manga? I also like how Soma is drawn. I love his looks and hope he never changes. I also like how Ikumi looks. I love her slightly dark skin. All the characters are so cute and drawn wonderfully. 

                     Overall, I really liked this volume a lot. We get to see some of Soma's skills. Skills we haven't seen before and we see how much he really cares for his hometown. We also see something interesting about his dad which intrigued me greatly. I also loved the cliffhanger at the end. I can't believe someone declared war on Soma! I wonder what will happen to him. I can't wait to read the next volume and see. This volume was really good. This is the type of manga that just keeps getting better and better the further you read. If you are watching the anime and want to read the manga I suggest you do so. It really is good.







Stars:                                        5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment