Search This Blog

Sunday, April 12, 2015

The Longest Ride (2015)










                     About:


                               
  1. Former bull-riding champion Luke (Scott Eastwood) and college student Sophia (Britt Robertson) are in love, but conflicting paths and ideals threaten to tear them apart: Luke hopes to make a comeback on the rodeo circuit, and Sophia is about to embark on her dream job in New York's art world. As the couple ponder their romantic future, they find inspiration in Ira (Alan Alda), an elderly man whose decades-long romance with his beloved wife withstood the test of time.









My Review:






          I read this book when it first came out and I loved it. So I had very high expectations for this movie because the book was so near and dear to me. This movie exceeded my very high expectations. It was phenomenal. The movie was slightly different from the book like how Luke and Sophia met but I was actually okay with it. I mean the new way they met was cute. I can't actually say if the movie or the book was better because they were both so good. So for the people who have read it the book and are afraid that the movie wouldn't be as good should get rid of their worries and just go see it. This movie is definitely a good date night movie or one with the girlfriends because this movie is so terribly romantic and very emotional. So guys if you need a good date idea that will score you points with your girlfriend, I recommend this movie to you, if of course she likes romance movies with a hint of drama. But this movie will seriously give you brownie points.

      This movie is about two couples. One that lived their romance decades before and another that's just starting. It starts off with Sophia and Luke meeting but never really getting together because Sophia has a job lined up in New York and Luke has his farm in North Carolina. Then there is Ira who Luke and Sophia save after having a heart attack and driving off the rode. Sophia then frequently visits Ira and reads him the love letters he wrote to his beloved Ruth who had past away. Through those letters we learn about Ira and Ruth's relationship from beginning to end with all the hardships and pain those two had to go through. A main theme here is sacrifice and that sometimes you have to sacrifice things for the ones you love. 

      Sophia was an amazing character. She was so nice and compassionate. I mean not only had she helped Luke save Ira but she continued to visit him to read his love letters which he hasn't been able to read for years. Not many people would do that. She got so emotionally invested with Ira and formed a really good bond. It also helped that she had a bunch in common with Ira's wife Ruth. Sophia was definitely my favorite character probably besides Ira. Luke was a pretty good character as well. He was charming and cute and you could tell he really loved Sophia. Though he had his downfalls with his stubbornness and not ready to compromise. He was so stuck in his past and his career but I actually liked that he was. It really showed the hardship couples go through and that things happen when one isn't willing to sacrifice something they know and love for their life partner. I loved Luke and Sophia together. They really represented a normal couple with opposite interests and wondering how to make things work. They were also so sweet together and just so loving at times. I wish I had a relationship like that. I mean yes they went through a lot of hardship but it's life and I don't think I would want easy happiness anyway. Ira was so interesting. I mean we got to see both his present self and past self in this movie with a lot of flashbacks. His present self was very witty and wise. I mean he was amazing with helping out Sophia and teaching her things about love. I mean he taught me things. His past self was so cute and romantic. I mean I could not get enough of him on screen and his love for Ruth was amazing. I loved his story so much. Also his love letters to Ruth were so romantic and sweet. I loved that he continued to write her letters even after the war and they were together again. I liked Ruth a lot. She was headstrong and knew what she wanted. I loved how forward she was with Ira and she was just so cute and passionate. She was no doubt perfect for Ira. I also liked Luke's mom a lot. I wish they gave her more screen time because it the book she plays a slightly bigger role and it sucks that we didn't get to see her with that role here. All we saw were that she wanted Luke to quit his career. I loved all the characters and I wouldn't change anything about their personalities.





                      Britt Robertson as Sophia was amazing. I can not imagine anyone else as Sophia. I mean she really had the feel of an art lover who wants to be a curator and has slightly more modern tastes but is ready for new adventures. I mean her expressions were great and and her tone when Sophia was excited about something. When she cried I was almost in tears myself. I mean she really portrayed her sadness. I give her five stars. Scott Eastwood as Luke was phenomenal. I mean he had the perfect looks for being a cowboy. I mean he's what I imagined Luke would look like when I read the book. He is my ideal Luke. Scott did a really good job of portraying Luke's stubbornness and frustration on how Luke and Sophia's different worlds. He had amazing tone. I mean you could so hear the bitterness in his voice. I liked his acting a lot as well and definitely want to look up other works he has done.





                      Oona Chaplin as young Ruth was probably the best casting out of everyone. I mean her acting was phenomenal. Her excited face and all the different emotions Ruth experiences were portrayed so well by Oona. I could not get enough of her acting. Also her smile, whenever she smiled she lit up the screen like there was no tomorrow. She's really beautiful and I loved her giddiness on screen. I also loved her acting with Jack Huston as young Ira. They really seemed to have chemistry which made the romance between Ira and Ruth more believable. Jack did an amazing job as young Ira. He really made me feel for Ira and he looked so cute when you see that tiny smile whenever he saw Ruth. He made me want to cry when he did and he really made their romance flow off the screen. I can't imagine anyone else to play this role as well. The whole cast was amazing and perfectly picked. Oona and Jack made this movie very real for me.

       Overall, this movie was my favorite movie of the year so far. It was so romantic and it got me very emotional. I cried during some parts and I like never cry. I really think you romance lovers should see this movie and not just because it's by Nicholas Sparks. I mean the plot is amazing and the acting was phenomenal in on its own. This movie will definitely take you on a long ride through love, loss, sacrifice, and realizing what's most important in life. It will open your eyes and make you see things in a different light. If you haven't seen it yet then go do so. You will regret it of you don't. It might even help you with your own love problems. This movie will play on your heart strings like there is no tomorrow. 









Stars:            5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment