Search This Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Before Midnight book 1 by Jennifer Blackstream









                           About:


An alpha wolf fighting a powerful curse...

The werewolf prince Etienne is turning into a human. A fierce and loyal pack, Etienne and his family have protected their kingdom with tooth and claw--literally--for hundreds of years. Unfortunately, the spell pf a well meaning witch is slowly stealing the beast from inside him. Only the bite of a cursed wolf---one who is not born with the beast inside--can save him from losing everything. He has no time for anything that will not lead him to a cure for the curse. Not even the beautiful maiden whose gentile nature soothes his soul even as she tempts him into primal pursuits of an entirely different nature...

A maiden enslaved by her step-family, who dares to reach for more...

Loupe lives in terror. Terror of the blood thirsty step-family who treats her like a slave, and terror of the beast trapped inside her. Bitten by a werewolf while dealing with the illegal gains of her step-family's poaching, Loupe's dreams of a strong husband who would take her away from her servant-like existence are over. A woman who becomes a mindless beast on the night of the full moon has no place in a marriage bed. Not even if that bed belongs to a prince with the manners of royalty and the hungry eyes of a wolf. 

Nothing will stand between an alpha wolf and his mate...

A grand ball. The stroke of twelve. A magic "slipper." All kinds of things can happen when you don't leave the ball...Before Midnight.






My Review:






                 I had this book on my kindle forever and just now decided to read it. I didn't really have high expectations for the book since I have read so many different versions of the story Cinderella, but it was a lot better than I expected. It's also not as steamy as I expected. I mean there was passion between the main characters but there are no sex scenes really, so if you're worries about that, then you're good. If you're looking for something steamier then you should look somewhere else. To me this book was a quick read. It wasn't short though. I read it in a little over an hour. While the book was better than I expected, it isn't my favorite Cinderella story.

               This book is about Loupe who is trapped in her step-mother's home skinning wolves and fearing for her life. She's also scared of the beast inside her. The one she can't control. Then she meets Prince Etienne who seems like a normal person who gives her butterflies and makes her long for something more. A better life where she isn't a monster and isn't scared of her step-family.

               Loupe was interesting. She was really kind and sweet. She hated that her step-family was poaching wolves. She even is taking care of wolf pups whose mother was killed. That's the part I find interesting. I men she's scared of the beast inside her, her wolf, but not of real wolves. I found that a little confusing and cool. I liked her character a lot. I liked how she was weak in the beginning but then became stronger when push comes to shove. Prince Etienne seemed like such a sweetheart with some issues. I mean he was a little desperate because he was turning into a human. He was the type of werewolf that was born not made. I thought he was unnecessarily full of anger at times. I guess he would be under the circumstances but just the way it came out just didn't sit well with me. I liked him for Loupe. They were each other's rock and pushed each other to be more. If it wasn't for him, Loupe would never have gained her courage. I love Etienne's parents. I thought they were cute and sweet. I wold have loved to have seen more of them in the book. I also loved how crazy Loupe's step-family were. I mean they were so evil that it made things interesting. I love it wasn't the typical make Cinderella do chores(even though she did that) but Loupe was forced to skin wolves! It just was really interesting.

                   The plot was good. The prologue made things very interesting so I'm curious as to what the bigger plot is. I mean it's what makes me want to read the next book! The main plot for the book though was good. It was a little cliche but I loved the fact that werewolves were thrown in to make it a tiny bit different. I liked the cover but I kind of wish it didn't suggest that the book was going to be steamy when it actually isn't.

                    Overall, I really liked the book. It was a nice quick read. I loved the characters and the plot. I also very much love the tiny cliffhanger at the end which also hinted at the bigger plot. I'm dying to know what it is. It makes me can't wait to read the next book and get more clues. I recommend this book to those who are looking for a good read who loves romance, fairy tales, and the paranormal.







Stars:                           3.5/5

                




No comments:

Post a Comment