Search This Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Love Monster by Riko Miyagi









                   About:


                    After failing the entrance exams to her school of choice, Hiyo Osora gets an acceptance letter from SM Academy. But she didn't even apply or take its exam! When she arrives, there's something amiss—all the students are... monsters!? And the head of the student council says he's her fiancé right before he sprouts giant black wings! What strange fate brought Osora to SM Academy, and what supernatural fate awaits her after this!?










My Review:






                I found this randomly on the manga app ZingBox. I thought it sounded pretty cute so I downloaded it and sunk my teeth into it. I kinda like this series. It's short I read it over the course of two days but that didn't hinder it. I think it would have sucked if it continued. Unless you love cute characters and plots like these then you shouldn't bother with it. I mean it's a good plot but it's very light and the characters are pretty goofy. I don't think I wasted my time reading it because I enjoyed it.

                 In this series Hiyo fails all her entrance exams and ends up going to a school where you only get in by recommendation. There the student president, Kurou declares that she's his fiance! She learns quickly that the school she entered is a school for monsters. She also finds out that she might not be human and everyone is after her special abilities!

                   Hiyo is the typical very cute, very innocent, and very naive character. She's also very airy and childish which I kind of don't like. You can be kickass and still be good and have a pure heart. I really feel like this character is really overplayed. She also was the damsel in distress never being able to protect herself which also was kind of annoying. I don't hate her character, I just wish that there were some things different about her. Kurou is very tough and powerful. He's the strongest monster in the school which is why he's student president for being a freshman. He's also the typical pervert but only with Hiyo. I didn't mind his character too much. I actually loved him a lot. Though I feel like he would have been a better character without his pervert side. They had him as a calm and cool character which doesn't really go well with him being a pervert. I liked them a lot together because it played well with Hiyo being day and Kurou being night. It was a nice idea. I loved learning about their past together and I wish there were more scenes of that because they were so cute and fun to read. Shou is Hiyo's dad and a very mysterious character. I would have liked to learn a lot more about him. He wasn't in the series much but when he was, he made an impact. I found his past to be a little confusing because the author only showed tidbits of it. I get the gist of his past but I think more time should have been spent on his character. Hitomi is also a mysterious powerful being but was a goofball who acted like a kid. I didn't learn about her past at all which I didn't like. I guess it wouldn't be necessary for the story but I felt like she was just there. Yeah she had some important lines but there didn't need to be a whole new character for it. Haine is Kurou's love rival. He's a crow demon like Kurou, but instead of typical black wings, his are grey which makes him pretty interesting. I really liked his character a lot. I would have loved to have seen more of him then the few times he appeared. I also would have liked a love interest for him. He's my second favorite character. Maki was a weird character. At first she hated Hiyo and wanted to take Kurou from her but somehow she randomly became best friends with her. I didn't really like her character much and didn't see a use for her. I mean I just didn't see the point. All the characters here were comical in some way which I felt watered down their character and personalities so much. I mean it's okay to have comical scenes and some goofy characters, but when all of them are like that, it's hard to have a heavy plot and to take the manga seriously.

               The plot was good. I felt that it could have been carried out a lot better though. The characters were so light and not serious that I felt it took away from the plot. I mean it's a really good story line but it never got deep enough to bring out its full awesomeness. The art was good. I thought the characters were all very cute and well drawn. I just didn't like how most of them looked like little kids when they were in high school. Especially Hiyo. She looks like she's in the beginning of middle school and it was actually commented a lot in the manga. I know it was on purpose but it just looked really weird to me. 

                Overall, this manga series was okay. It could have been so much better. I mean if you want to read something light and you love cliches then go for it. However, if you dislike cliches and are looking for a deep plot then you won't find it here. I did love the ending however, and would read something else by Riko in the future.








Stars:                           3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment