Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Red River by Chie Shinohara









                     About:


                     A seemingly ordinary modern day teenager, Yuri, is suddenly whisked away to the Hittite empire in ancient Anatolia, where an ambitious queen wants the girl for a blood sacrifice in order to murder all heirs but her son, thus seizing control of the throne. Luckily, the timely intervention of Prince Kail saves Yuri from the queen's grasp. Kail promises to send Yuri back to her home, but the queen's persistent schemes to kill them both, plus their growing feelings for each other, keep those plans delayed.














My Review:







                  I found out about this manga from the app ZingBox. I was looking for historical romance because I was bored of slice of life. I also read this series because I thought it was a short one since it was under a hundred chapters, but I was so wrong. Each chapter was really long which was great. This manga kept me on my toes and guessing. It really was interesting and not cliche at all. I couldn't put my tablet down. I would have read it all in one sitting if it wasn't so long. So, if you're hoping for a quick short read then you should just tuck this away until you're ready for the long haul. 

                 This manga is about a girl named Yuri who is kidnapped by a powerful priestess who intends to use her as a sacrifice in a plot to kill the princes of her kingdom so her son can take the thrown. She is saved by prince Kail and works with him to help him cement his spot to the throne and to stop the queen from discrediting the princes. Along the way she makes many friends, wins battles, and falls in love with the prince all while trying to find a way back home.

                 Yuri is a very strong adaptable character. She was really scared but swallowed that fear and immediately worked on trying to find the way home. I really liked how sensible she was. I also liked that she cred sometimes. It wouldn't have been believable. I also liked that she wasn't predictable and that she didn't really need the prince in a sense. She was able to take care of herself in a foreign land. Prince Kail was a cool character. I loved him and Yuri together but I guess I didn't love him? I'm not sure. I mean I liked his character but I don't feel the need to gush about him. He's also a strong and smart character. He loved his brothers as well, even Juda who is the queen's son which I liked. He's also a tiny bit selfish which comes with the territory of being a prince but there were some moments I wished that was addressed in the manga. Ramses is an Egyptian soldier and Kail's love rival. The moment he realized how amazing Yuri was, he wanted her and kidnapped her a few times. I liked his character a lot. I found it refreshing and interesting. Juda was a sweet kid. I kind of felt bad for him. I mean he loves his brother and his mother is trying to kill him. He doesn't even want to be king. He realizes he wouldn't be an effective one. There were many other characters that I would love to talk about but I don't want you guys sitting here forever learning about them when you could just read Red River.

                  I really liked the plot for this book. Yeah, it's the normal time travel and fall in love with a powerful character but there was a lot of non cliche things going on which I liked. The art was okay. It's a little different since this manga was drawn in the late 90's. I mean I'm not crazy about Yuri's hair at all. Also I wish the eyes were better. Otherwise, it's not all bad. I love how the princes look and I though Ramses was handsome as well. 

                Overall, I liked this manga a lot. There were some scenes which I felt were unnecessary and I kind of wished that Yuri wasn't kidnapped so often. I mean it was more than a couple times and some were from the same person! You would think she got some fight training or something. I know she's a girl and we are generally weaker than men but there a girls who can kick some ass. Otherwise, I really loved the characters and their devotion. I would read other work by this author. I recommend it to lovers of action and historical romance.







Stars:                        4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment