Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Olympos omnibus by Aki










                     About:


                      From on high, the gods make sport of the mortals who toil below them. None know the cruelty of these beings better than Ganymede, a beautiful prince who was torn away from his family by the gods' divine hands. Granted immortality, Ganymede now whiles away his days in an inescapable miniature garden for the amusement of the gods, particularly Apollo. But the gods themselves are no strangers to the boredom of eternal life, and as Ganymede quickly discovers, they will do anything to keep themselves entertained, both at his expense and at one another's...





My Review:





                  This manga was not what I expected at all. I have always loved stories of the Greek gods and have read many books involving them. I have mixed feelings about this manga. I liked it but I didn't. You know those movies that are really good but make your brain hurt from thinking. Oblivion with Tom Cruise and Interstellar are a couple examples, anyway, this manga was like that but in book form. So, unless you love to think and am prepared to do a lot of it then you should stay away. There were so many lines I had to re-read before I understood them. I do have to say that this manga gave me a lot to think about.

                 This manga is about Ganymede and his relationship with the gods. He was kidnapped by Apollo and has been stuck in Zeus's garden ever since. Apollo is also trying to understand the gods' relationships. It's basically looking into the gods' emotions.

                Ganymede was a very...depressed character. I don't think he was fully depressed but I can't think of a better word. He isn't full of light and positive thinking. He just ceased to care. He is a very interesting character to get to know but I find Apollo much more interesting. He isn't satisfied with his life as a god. He is constantly debating with Hades and poking fun at Ganymede. He is bored which forces him to hang out with Poseidon who is an idiot. Apollo no longer is satisfied with hanging out with his sister Artemis. I think Apollo is a selfish character but I can't help but like him and feel bad for him. Hades was my favorite. He constantly amazed me with his way of thinking and his riddles. He's a huge part of the reason that my brain hurt after reading Olympos. Hades brought up many interesting points that could be heavily debated. Every character has their interesting aspects. I can't say any of them are great people but they weren't bad either.

                The plot was really confusing at first and I'm still not completely sure I figured it out. I can't say the plot was complicated or not because I really don't know. I have no clue. The art is gorgeous. I can freely say that I mostly read this manga for the art. It is so beautiful and pretty. I can't get enough of it at all. I love the character and costume designs. They are so pretty looking. If you're looking to one solid pro to reading this manga then the art is one of them.

                Overall, this manga was okay. It's not for everyone. I've read that you shouldn't start with Olympos if you're reading work by Aki for the first time which I did so if you read Aki's work and liked it, you would probably like Olympos. I don't regret picking Olympos up. It had its ups and downs for me. I think I might read more of Aki's work in the future.








Stars:                     


No comments:

Post a Comment