Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson









                    About:


                     It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just...disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Um...

Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she'll find?

Go skinny-dipping? Wait...what?




My Review:




                 I loved this book so much. I've only read one other book by Morgan Matson and I didn't like it very much so I was so happy to find something of hers that I really enjoyed. I read this book in one sitting. I didn't want to stop reading. I loved that I could easily connect with the characters. This was a fun book to read. It's fabulous for the summer since it also takes place during the summer as well. 

                 This book is about Emily, who is very shy and socially awkward. She got around that through her friend Sloane. When Sloane disappears, Emily panics. When she finds the list Sloane gave her she sets out to complete the list hoping that in doing so she will find her. Along the way of this incredible journey Emily makes new friends and gains many experiences. 

                 I loved Emily simply because she's a lot like me. I'm really shy and it takes a while to get me out of my shell. If I'm not comfortable then I'm not the greatest social person. Though I can get myself through if I have to. Emily is really shy and stumbles through conversation. She would rather hang out alone with Sloane than with other people. She attached herself to Sloane. Sloane was her rock and life saver. So losing her was a big shock to Emily. I loved seeing her grow throughout the book. It was great seeing that each task made her stronger inside. It was really refreshing and I have to say she was amazing. Frank was an interesting character. He was a prime example on not to judge a book from its cover. Everyone called him a boy scout. He went to Princeton seminars and protested a lot of things. He was always helping others out. But he wasn't just that. He loves weird bands and comedy shows. There was a lot more to him than what the others just saw. I liked that he helped out Emily with he list. He was great support but he didn't take over like Sloane did. He was different which was great for Emily. Collins is Frank's best friend and soon becomes friends with Emily too. He wasn't a major character but he said some things that really struck with me. He wasn't the most important character but he wasn't useless. He was pretty funny at times and I enjoyed all the scenes he was in. Dawn was cute too. She was great in building up Emily's confidence and helping her out check stuff off the list. I would have liked to have seen more of her spending time with Emily though. All the characters were great and interesting.

                 The plot was great. It was never boring and kept me interested from beginning to end. It wasn't cliche at all either which was great. I also liked how it had some real life lessons in there that the readers can learn from. I'm a little bit in a reading slump again and this was a great book to pull me out of it. I hope to read more books like this in the future.

                Overall, I really loved this book. I couldn't get enough of it. The characters and plot were great. There were a few things that I felt were unresolved. It would have been better if they were but oh well. I was really satisfied with the book otherwise. I also love how there was a little bit of romance int he book but it wasn't part of the main story line. I was really satisfied with this book. I highly recommend this book to those who love coming of age stories or are shy like Emily.







Stars:                    

No comments:

Post a Comment